Electrical Masterclass VANZ Conference 2023
1 day Special Training Event by Mike Davis
Recently I hosted a special 1 Day Electrical Masterclass “Knowledge for Mechanical, Condition Monitoring and Electrical Personnel” at the VANZ Conference in New Zealand.
It was a great turn out with the 1 day special Masterclass being very well received and enjoyed by the participants.
The Masterclass aimed to provide attendees with the tools they need to describe and identify the functions of electrical machine components, various insulation types in stator and rotor windings, failure mechanisms common to electric machines, and electrical tests sensitive to specific failure mechanisms. Additionally attendees were provided with the opportunity to learn:
- to undertake a visual inspection on an Inservice motor following standard protocols
- describe a typical core inspection procedure
- identify common symptoms of failure mechanisms and their effects on the reliability of electrical machines
- understand safe working practices when undertaking maintenance on electrical apparatus.
With practical exercises (hands on models), workbooks and course notebooks, interactive team quizzes with leaderboards and a copy of “Mikes Motor Minutes – 101 Electrical Machine Stories” the participants had very positive feedback for the day.
Here are some things people said about the event:
“Loved the hands on interaction”
“The instructor was very knowledgeable and able to use real life and theoretical information to teach. The 3D models were useful and helped me understand the topic.”
“Mike is always in font of knowledge with respect to electrical machines.”
“Mike’s experience is unmatched, great presenter.”
“Loved the knowledge & interaction.”
“Loved seeing how a motor was wound.”
Interested in Coaching or Mentoring your team with Mike?
As well as our Electrical Machine Maintenance Program, feel free to check out our events page for:
- FREE EMKE Monthly Webinar Series
- SIRF 1 Day Workshops – Kicking off in Perth in July 2023!
Improve Electrical Machine Maintenance with our “Electrical Machine Coaching Program” in our Academy
If you’re an Asset Manager, Principal Electrical Engineer, Maintenance Manager, Supervisor or similar … chances are you’re seeing costly failures in your plant.
That’s why companies invest so heavily in electrical maintenance systems and teams—but all that investment goes to waste if your team isn’t up to the task. So how do you prevent this scenario from happening?
By coaching them!
If you want to learn more about the EMKE coaching program for maintenance staff, click here:
Address Challenges Through Coaching
Challenges are real and common in our industry. The best way to address them is by coaching your staff.
Here are some of the impacts the industry’s leading coaches will create:
- Coaching your staff to be proactive
- Coaching your staff to consider all possible failure modes
- Coaching your staff to think like an engineer
- Coaching your team to identify potential issues before they happen
- Coaching your team to identify the root cause of failures
Let’s dive deeper into the benefits …
The Benefits of Electrical Maintenance Coaching
As long as you are providing your staff with the right Electrical Machine coaching framework, and giving them both knowledge and experiential learning … Electrical maintenance coaching can help you to:
- Significantly reduce the frequency and severity of machinery failures, thereby reducing downtime costs.
- Improve the long-term reliability of your machines.
- Improve safety in your workplace by reducing risk factors associated with electrical equipment failure, such as fire and explosion.
- Enhance the effectiveness of corrective actions by increasing employee skillset in electrical maintenance activities. This can lead to improved performance in all areas related to machinery maintenance (e.g., mechanical).
But better still, here are some of the second-order benefits of coaching that you may not have considered:
- Now that they are trained, your staff will have a new enthusiasm and confidence around the machines – which then has them more proactive in maintaining them.
- Your team see you as a good leader who is always ready to help.
- You don’t have to rely on expensive external contractors, firmware, CAD, computerised controls or software solutions. As a result, you’re able to exceed your budgets every month.
- Every week you’re actively building your plant knowledge. So new hires are able to quickly learn about your machines and how to maintain them.
- With the right coach, you can confidently tell management that your team is being mentored by a leading expert in the industry.
- Oh … and those regulators and shareholders – they’ll stop asking so many questions too!
The Bottom Line (and improving it):
Investing time and effort in electrical maintenance coaching will pay off for your plant.
The more skilled your team is, the higher your productivity, with less breakdowns, reduced costs, happier management and clients.
If you’re experiencing the 3 main challenges of Electrical Machine maintenance in your team (Competence, Repeated Electrical Machine Failures and Safe Work)…
Coaching is a no-brainer.
Learn more about the EMKE coaching program for your maintenance staff, in our Academy.